Thursday, June 26, 2008

Amman Update


Yes, it’s peanut butter and jelly on flat bread.  When in Jordan, consumer your PB&J as the Jordanians do (actually, I’m not quite sure if this is actually how they consume the PB&J - it made sense to me though).  As expected, the local cuisine is awesome.  Above you see the appetizers at a restaurant downtown, which were followed by ample portions of grilled lamb and chicken for the main course, and then fresh watermelon for dessert.  All served under a Bedouin style tent, lounging on cushy couches, with wedding fireworks going off in the background (pretty much a nightly occurrence around here).  I don’t think I’ll ever be able to take an expensive American sit-down restaurant seriously again. 

I’m getting a better feel for the city, although I still feel a little like Robert Heinlein’s Stranger in a Strange Land.  I think I’m actually baffling to the locals, as most of them tend to initially think I’m Arab, but then I open my mouth and spit out my few token phrases of butchered Arabic.  Blending in is probably good, but I’m going to have to work on the communication barrier.

I’ve spent the last few nights exploring my general area of the city.  I’ve found an uber-hipster Gloria Jean’s coffee house with free wireless, friendly staff, and a good crowd of regulars.  It’s not necessarily culturally immersive I suppose, but it’s a touch of home that’s nice from time to time.

I’ve met some great people so far.  The standard get-to-know involves meeting the extended family, drinking coffee, and explaining your own family background.  Everyone here tends to have a fascinating family history, as Jordan is the halfway-house for the region’s steady stream of political refugees and exiles.  The country is most likely majority Palestinian (if one counts refugees), which means that most people you run into have a story to tell about their family relocating from Palestine to Jordan after the unpleasantness of 1948 and 1967.  By default, one is immersed in the history and politics of the region, which was pretty much the experience I was hoping for.  It should be an enlightening six months.

4 comments:

Jana said...

Dude. So awesome! The amount of stuff you are going to soak into your brains cares me. But soak away...let me know if you need any BBQ sauce shipped or anything ;)

Unknown said...

Hurray! Somehow you eating peanut butter and jelly on the other side of the world makes me happy. You are going to have such an amazing experience over the next few months. I can't wait to read more about all your adventures!

Anonymous said...

Impressive blog you've got here, I can see it as part of a memoir someday...the fabulous travels of PoliSciGuy. Until then I'm looking forward to living vicariously through armchair traveling with your blog!

Dee said...

Wow... everything sounds fascinating. I am a little jealous of your semester long culture soak. The food looks AMAZING! You definitely need to pick up some cooking skills and then host some dinner parties. Enjoy!