Yes, yes, now the music. Even the grinding creep of geopolitical chaos requires a soundtrack.
Admittedly, I’ve been slow to keep up with the recorded output of 2008, and am only now starting to catch up. However, there have been some definite gems. Some of my favorites so far:
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - “Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!”
I’ve given previous props to Mr. Cave, most recently for last year’s side project, Grinderman. He returned to the studio with the full Bad Seeds crew, and put out another (unsurprisingly) fine effort. Coming on the heels of Grinderman, and 2004’s “Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus,” it seems as though the Australian gloom poet’s momentum is unstoppable. Musically, “Dig!!!” is characteristically eclectic and top-notch, while the lyrical content is as dry, witty, and literary as ever. Highlights include “Moonland” and “We Call Upon the Author to Explain.”
British Sea Power - “Do You Like Rock Music?”
Why I believe I do. Somehow, the album title reminds of Spinal Tap. The album itself though is anything but farcical. While, in my mind, still not quite as epic as their untouchable debut album (“The Decline of British Sea Power”), this one has still been worth repeated listens.
Kathleen Edwards - “Asking for Flowers”
I’ve been eagerly awaiting every subsequent record from Kathleen (having met her for all of two minutes, I now feel entitled to use her first name) since her debut, “Failer.” The woman can’t write a bad song. Imagine a collision between Lucinda Williams and Neil Young, though perhaps a little (OK, a lot) less traumatic and ragged around the edges. This one is a little less thematically tight than her previous efforts, and covers quite a bit of territory - love, loss, war, family, politics... If you get a chance to catch one of her live shows, don’t miss it, as she has one of the tightest touring bands of any current singer-songwriter.
Matt Mays & El Torpedo - “Terminal Romance”
As evidenced by Kathleen Edwards and Matt Mays, as well as a slew of other current artists, Canada is an incubator for great indie music. I was actually introduced to Matt Mays’ music through his solo opening of a Kathleen Edwards show. Like her, he seems similarly incapable of weak output. This album seamlessly blends shades of punk, folk, alt-country, and classic rock. I’m partial to the title track and the album closer, “Long Since Gone.”
The Roots - “Rising Down”
Now that I’ve spanned most of the former anglo-British empire, it’s worth mentioning that some good music is still coming from the rogue colony I call home. The Roots rock my proverbial socks, and this album may be their best since “Things Fall Apart.” The groove throughout has a killer low-fi vibe, and most of the tracks are very well-crafted collaborations. The relentless, rolling, silky smooth three-MC throw-down on “I Can’t Help It” is my personal favorite.
Sigur Ros - “Med sud i eyrum vid spilum endalust”
I still have no idea what these guys are actually singing, but it doesn’t really matter, because their music always make me happy to have ears. This one is something of a departure from previous efforts, with the group sounding much more like a conventional rock band. That’s not to say the shoe-gaze ambience is gone, but it’s been harnessed to a more straight-ahead format, with distinct stand-alone tracks. If my life story were deserving of a soundtrack, I’d commission Sigur Ros to orchestrate the noise.
The Black Keys - “Attack and Release”
The Black Keys stepped out of the two-man guitar/drums straightjacket for this one, and the departure only enhanced their distinctive swampy blues sound. “Attack and Release” shows the group to be a little more versatile than their previous output would have suggested (although those albums were by no means shabby). The closer, “Things Ain’t like they Used to Be,” is my new favorite track for kicking back with a stiff drink and digging up old memories.
Amos Lee - “Last Days at the Lodge”
Amos Lee’s self-titled first album suggested that he had quite a few influences beyond just urban folk, and his second album, “Supply and Demand,” further expanded the palette. “Last Days at the Lodge” more solidly melds the folk to his R&B tendencies (the 1970s are strong with Mr. Lee). If I could play lead guitar in any current songwriter’s band, it would probably be Amos Lee; he always has a tight crew.
The Helio Sequence - “Keep Your Eyes Ahead”
These guys fall somewhere in the foggy folk-electronica musical space between Bob Dylan, Modest Mouse, and David Gray. Which probably makes very little sense. Go ahead and buy this one and it will all come together. Track 5, "Shed Your Love," has been incessantly looping through my head since I bought the album, and I'm still okay with it.
For more consistent and entertaining music coverage, check out Music for Ants in my blog links. I was only recently referred to the superb Zoolander-themed music blog, and it's going to send my iTunes debt through the roof.
Paz.
No comments:
Post a Comment